What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Patience


I don’t know how to be patient. I hate waiting. I want results and I want them now. Knowing I’m not a very patient person does not help me wait on God’s timing. And I’m afraid that when God does work, I miss it because I’m already worrying about the next thing.
Patience is one of the virtues God wants us to develop in our lives. It is one of the fruits of the Spirit highlighted in Galatians 5:22-23. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” It’s one of the things Paul entreats us to develop in Ephesians 4:1-2: “Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love . . .”
And in Colossians 3:12 it tells us: “So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;” Put on a heart of patience! That means taking some action. It requires me to put patience into my life. Paul continues in 2 Timothy 3:10 telling us to follow his example: “Now you followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, perseverance. . .”
So as I sit here anxious about the outcome of a legal matter involving our family, I don’t believe it will ever happen. I’m frustrated that it hasn’t happened already. I believe it’s what God wants to happen, so why doesn’t He make it happen already? But then I remember that God’s timing is not my timing. I remember that He wants me to develop patience (in all areas of my life). I can honestly say I’m waiting, but not because I want to. There’s nothing else to be done in the situation. God has to work. I don’t think I’m being patient because my attitude is one that says, “Alright already!” We’ve waited long enough. But I guess we haven’t because God’s timing hasn’t come to pass yet.
I pray for true patience and peace of mind, while I wait for God to work. I pray I will trust Him and be able to have an attitude of reliance on Him. There’s probably something about patience I’m supposed to learn from this situation. So I pray I learn that lesson so I don’t have to have other situations come up in my life to teach me this lesson again.

No comments: