What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Focus


I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what the person of God should focus their attention on. Partially that comes from studying 1 Timothy. Paul gives Timothy several things to focus on and several things Timothy should not focus on. This led me to think about my own life and I’ve been trying to evaluate myself based on these things. Basically, am I living the life a woman of God should be living.
There are several lists of characteristics in the book of 1 Timothy but today what stands out to me is found in chapter 6, verses 11-12. In the Phillips version of the New Testament it says,
But you, the man of God, keep clear of such things. Set your heart not on riches, but on goodness, Christ-likeness, faith, love, patience and humility. Fight the worthwhile battle of the faith, keep your grip on that life eternal to which you have been called, and to which you boldly professed your loyalty before many witnesses.”
So I evaluate my life . . . do I set my heart on riches? Is money and material possessions the focus of my energy and efforts? Generally not. However this passage goes on to tell us what we should be focusing on: goodness, Christ-likeness, faith, love, patience and humility. So I ask myself, are those the things I focus on? I have to admit that I’m not sure what my focus is on these days, but I don’t think it’s on those things as much as it should be. I am finding it hard to focus on anything in reality. But those are good characteristics to have. I want to be good. I want to be Christ-like. I want to have faith. I want to be characterized by love. I want to have patience toward the people in my life. And I know I should be humble.
I need to keep those qualities in front of me on a daily basis and “set my heart” on them. I don’t know exactly how to do that these days. So I pray that God would show me what goodness is and what Christ-likeness looks like. I pray for faith and love and patience. I pray that God will help me be humble toward Him and others. I feel like there is something more I should be doing in order to develop those characteristics in my life, but for now, the best I can do is pray for the ability to keep those things before me and do what God would have me do regarding each of those areas.

No comments: