What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Visiting Colleges

Did I “visit” colleges before I decided which college I was going to attend to get my higher (post-secondary) education? I don’t remember. I think it is a good idea. I am not sure how I picked Western Michigan University.

I thought I was going to study accounting. My aunt is a CPA and I worked for her several summers while in high school. I took some accounting courses in high school. It seemed like accounting was the logical progression. My aunt suggested going to Western because she felt they taught accounting with practicality in mind (versus some of the larger, more prestigious, universities who were more theoretical). A final factor in my decision was all about the money. Western offered more money in scholarships and grants. But I don’t remember visiting campus. I wonder if it would have made a difference.

Whatever the reason, ending up at Western was exactly what God wanted – although He could’ve worked in my life no matter where I went. I met the right people, learned about a personal higher power, changed my perspective on the purpose of life, and eventually changed my major. I met people, friends, who are still in my life today. I met my husband.

As I “visit” colleges with my daughter, I wonder what God has in store for her. While walking around various campuses, I find myself praying for her coming college experience. I want her to find God and meet lifelong friends. I want her to love whatever she chooses to study – not necessarily some “logical progression” – whatever she thinks is important and worthwhile. I want her to get to know God in a personal way.

I don’t know what will come of these college visits. I do know that God will find her wherever she ends up. And, I do know I will be praying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took my college search much too seriously--I poured over statistics for 2,000 colleges, or something like that--before a counselor at the community college said, "hey, you've got some good colleges in Michigan. Make things easier on yourself and look in state." I did.

I wanted a small college, so my field was Albion, Calvin, Hope, and Kalamazoo. Looking back on it, I'm not sure I got such a better education at my small college compared with what I could have gotten at, say, the honors program at Michigan State. I did pay some campus visits (and I also made a visit before I entered graduate school), but from my limited perspective they're not very useful. It's sort of like a blind date of two people who desperately want to get married and "it's either this or nothing." In other words, an experience filled with lies and deception on both sides.

Even a "true" and insightful campus visit is of limited value in that what is involved in living on campus (if that's what you end up doing) cannot be anticipated, predicted, or previewed on a campus visit. Ditto for the day-in, day-out slog of going to classes and doing homework.

It's a fearful time, for many reasons. But God is faithful.

-- John

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Mary, I like this! I'm pretty sure God meant for me to go to Carthage, too. I just had a feeling when I visited there that I can't describe. I'll never forget the little chapel just across from the main building. It just seemed so peaceful. I loved having a nice big church on campus, too, even though I was a Catholic and it was a Luthern school ... made me feel at peace and at home ;) Lauren Polzin