What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Vacation: Wish You Were Here


Lately I’ve been feeling disconnected from my own life. My thoughts and feelings swirl around and I can’t quite stay attentive to anything for very long. It happens from time to time. I suppose it might happen to everyone at one time or another. Without using it as an excuse, this time of year is particularly ghost-like for me. The world goes on and I float along with it. It is an uncomfortable place to be. I have given up trying to relate to the world during this time.

Today I make a different choice. I decide to stay present and participate in life as best as I can. To this end, I focus on the source of hope in my life. I visit my “Hope List,” a list of my favorite Bible passages that remind me that hope isn’t dependent on me . . . hope exists because God exists. I take comfort in the words of Job who, even in the total destruction of his life, found his comfort in the hope that comes from God.

From the Book of Job, chapter 11 in the Message:

Still, if you set your heart on God
and reach out to him,
If you scrub your hands of sin
and refuse to entertain evil in your home,
You'll be able to face the world unashamed
and keep a firm grip on life, guiltless and fearless.
You'll forget your troubles;
they'll be like old, faded photographs.
Your world will be washed in sunshine,
every shadow dispersed by dayspring.
Full of hope, you'll relax, confident again;
you'll look around, sit back, and take it easy.
[Emphasis Added]

“If you set your heart on God” is the condition. The results of doing this? Many. Able to face the world unashamed. Have a firm grip on life. Be guiltless and fearless. Forget my troubles and watch my troubles fade. See the world washed in sunshine. Every shadow dispersed. Relaxed. Confident again. Resting and taking it easy. Ahh. Sounds like a vacation. I like that thought. Trusting and setting my heart on God, allows me to view life as a vacation. Wish you were here.

No comments: