What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Haiti Part 7: A Developing Country


I hinted at the ruggedness of Haiti. What we all need to keep in mind is that Haiti is a developing country. We can’t go there expecting the amenities we are accustomed to in the United States. The economy is developing. The construction is developing. The government is developing. Education is developing. Transportation is developing. However, Haiti has a rich culture and traditions that should not be overlooked.
On Day #7, as we were trying to get to the airport in Port-Au-Prince from Les Cayes, there had been some demonstrations going on in a town about halfway to our destination (2 hours into the 4 hour drive). We were delayed alongside the road for several hours. There were many rumors about what the disturbance was about, but God had kept us safe by causing us to have to stop in a queue of traffic several miles before the troubled area. God had arranged for our safety – using the LovingShepherd Ministries hospitality people and a very skilled Haitian driver to keep us safe. Sure, there was some fear. However, I knew we were in God’s hands and under His protection. Whatever may come, we would be safe (if not in the present, in eternity). Just another indication we were in a developing nation.
As a result of the delay in our drive, we missed our flight out of Port-Au-Prince. The LSM support person was able to arrange for lodging for the night, and new flight arrangements were made so we could leave the next day.
On Day #8 of the trip I wrote in my journal:
Right now as I sit in a hotel room in the heart of Port-Au-Prince (near the airport), I’m fully aware this is a developing country – used to be referred to as third-world but that sounds too close to third-rate or a low priority. As Christians, we should see it as God’s harvest fields, ready for harvest, a first priority, a first-rate country [Matthew 9:37-38: “Then He said to His disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.’”]. [The hotel is] in the heart of the industrial areas and there are sheep bleating, chickens clucking and crowing, intermingled with the roar of diesel engines and cars honking. I don’t quite feel safe – I do feel God’s protection. I feel my vulnerability as a mere human in the masses of people. Yet, again, I’m experiencing God’s peace and love in the midst of “scary” situations and the fears of my own mind.
I share this so you have an accurate picture of Haiti and an understanding of its great need for help. LSM is doing much to enhance the development of Haiti’s economy, availability for education to some of the most vulnerable children, and training for future workers. Again, I’ve said it before in previous blogs, LSM is a ministry worthyof our prayers and support. And, Haiti is worth such support.

No comments: