What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Haiti Part 6: Some of the Sights


This blog post will mostly be photos of some of the sights we experienced with brief explanations about what you are looking at.
Some contrasts first. 
 Most of the shoreline in Haiti is littered with debris. The people use the riverbanks during dry seasons as places leave garbage. When it rains, the garbage gets swept out to sea and ends up floating back up on the shores. There are some (mostly) private beaches that are well-kept and swimmable. We saw both. This nice beach is in Port-Salut south of Les Cayes. 



There are open fields between the hills and crowded cities. The city is Port-Au-Prince from the balcony of our hotel. When you think “city” do not picture Chicago. As many people might live there, but homes and facilities are still rather unsophisticated.

The landscape can be described as mostly hilly and mostly rocky. It’s amazing to see the people navigate the hills and the rocks as though they were on a flat sidewalk in the U.S. The climbs and walks were very challenging for me. Being able to walk a couple of miles on my road at home did not prepare me well for the terrain in Haiti. Next time (hopefully there will be a next time), I will be more prepared.


No comments: