What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Haiti Part 1


I don’t know if you expected this or not, but I’m planning to write a series of sorts about my experiences and God’s work in my life based on my recent mission trip to Haiti. I learned so many things, and God laid so much on my heart, that deciding what to write about will depend heavily on the journal I kept while there (and continuing now as God still gives me insights based on events from the trip). I am also grateful to Loving Shepherd Ministries (LSM) for the opportunity to serve along side them. (https://loving-shepherd.org/about-lsm/)
On Day #1 we traveled to Fort Lauderdale, Florida via Dallas/Fort Worth. Going through security checkpoints was a little scary. I was afraid that one or the other of my carry-on luggage wouldn’t pass muster for what is allowed. I was mostly afraid they would be too big or that some of the contents would not be allowed. I, of course, had an abundant supply of my various meds and supplies for my insulin pump and glucose meter (some of which have sharp things associated with them). I had done thorough research on the TSA website as to what is allowed and what is not, but there was a nagging feeling that I would be without something I needed in Haiti.
However, God is faithful. I had figured out from the way my support for this trip came in that God wanted me in Haiti. I should have taken some of that confidence with me to the airports. I had no more problems that anyone else did. (They did “inspect” our various snacks we took along. I’m not sure what they were looking for but something sent alarms off as they passed through the scanning equipment. Also, in Fort Lauderdale, before boarding the plane to Port Au Prince, Haiti, they hand inspected my diabetes supplies, but let them go through without a word.) God still wanted me in Haiti. God is faithful.
Not having flown much in airplanes, I was afraid I would not do well and get motion sickness or something else. My ear pressure was uncomfortable on take off and descent, but not unbearable. I did not get sick in any way, and actually enjoyed most of the flights. I wish I had taken some ear buds or some earphones since to watch the movies I needed them. Just a suggestion for others who might take long flights: Take some.
That pretty much covers the first day. It was a day of travel and a day in which I had much time to pray and praise. I asked God to prepare my heart for the adventure ahead. He partially did that through my time in the Word that day, 2 Peter 1:1-9. This passage talked about how God is keeping “His precious and magnificent promises, in order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature” (vs. 4). As God keeps His promises to us, we are to reflect His nature by also keeping our promises. I knew not to promise to the people of Haiti what I could not deliver upon. We should be demonstrating God’s character by keeping our promises. This concept was important to me as the Haitians had so little and I wanted to provide for them the world, but I just can’t. My service would have to suffice (and it would be much appreciated by those we served).
More next week. We will see what God lays on my heart to share with you then.

No comments: