What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Titles of Jesus


In studying 1 Timothy 1, I noticed a few titles given to Jesus. The study guide I’m using directed me to other passages in Scripture that give other titles to Jesus. These titles help me get a bigger picture of Jesus and who, exactly, He is.
The first titles are found in 1 Timothy 1:1 and tell us Jesus is our Savior and our hope. Not just “the” Savior or “the” hope, but “our” Savior and “our” hope. It’s personal, intended for us to realize that Jesus is a personal Savior. In 1 Timothy 1:12, Jesus is called Lord. That equates Him with the Almighty God and with the God of the Old Testament. Looking ahead a little, in 1 Timothy 2:5, Jesus is called the “one God and one mediator between God and men.”
Other passages of Scripture gave Jesus other titles that I found encouraging. In Psalm 2:2 He’s called the Anointed One. In Isaiah 9:6 He’s called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.
In Luke 2:25, He’s called the Consolation of Israel. In John 6:48 He’s referred to as the Bread of Life. In Ephesians 2:20 He’s referenced as the Chief cornerstone. In Hebrews 3:1 Jesus is identified as Jesus the apostle and high priest. And in Hebrews 12:2 He is called the author and perfecter of our faith.
Another title for Jesus is found in 1 Peter 5:4 where He’s called the Chief Shepherd. And finishing out the New Testament in Revelation 1:8 He is called the Alpha and the Omega, who is who was and who is to come, the Almighty.
It’s clear from these passages that Jesus is equated with God the Almighty. I am encouraged as I read these passages by the greatness of the Jesus of the Bible. Throughout Scripture He is predicted and portrayed as the Almighty God and yet He came to earth in the form of a child, a human being, limiting His Almighty power so He could be our Savior and our hope. This humbles me and gives me much to be thankful for.
As I start out this new year, I want to keep in mind this Jesus and be thankful and full of praise for all the things He is and for all the things He’s already done for me.

No comments: