What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Give Thanks


As I start this new year off I want to remember to give thanks to God for all the attributes He’s poured out upon me. My example is the apostle Paul who in 1 Timothy 1:12-14 summarizes several things we can give thanks for:
12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.”
First, I note to whom I’m giving thanks to: “Christ Jesus our Lord.” Not just any power that’s out there, but to Christ Jesus who is God, the Lord, the one and only true God. It’s important that I remember who I’m thanking and that I do so on a daily – even moment by moment – basis.
What am I thanking Him for? For giving me strength is the first thing in this passage. Not that He will give me strength, but that He already has given me strength. It’s in the past tense. It’s something I already have and will continue to have. I just have to act upon the strength He’s already given me.
I’m also thanking Him for considering me trustworthy (or faithful as it says in some other versions of the Bible). Along with that faithfulness or trustworthiness, He has given me a ministry to do. That’s something to be thankful for . . . a purpose, an appointed service. A calling for my life. His service. That’s definitely something to be thankful for. And He’s considering me faithful and trustworthy to carry out His appointed service. That encourages me to keep trying in the midst of some trying situations. He’s given me the strength and the ability to minister in the tasks He’s given me.
Paul goes on to point out how he was once a sinner of the worst sort: a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a violent man. Yet God’s mercy and grace was poured out on him and allowed him to be saved from such a life. God’s mercy and grace does the same thing for me now . . . actually He’s already done it for me and continues to show His mercy and grace toward me as I go through my days.
So as I start this new year, I take the time to give thanks for God’s giving me strength, for His giving me purpose and a ministry, for considering me trustworthy, for His mercy and grace. There is much to be thankful for and I need to practice thankfulness on a daily basis.

No comments: