What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Psalm 22: Distress and Praise


As I read this Psalm today I noticed it was broken into two parts. The first part, verses 1 – 21 recounts various distressful situations David has endured. The second part, verses 22 – 31 lists the reasons and ways David praised God in the midst of his distress.
Some of the distresses as stated in The Message included:
            Verse 1: Dumped miles from no where
            Verse 2: Doubled-up with pain; tossing and turning
            Verse 7: Poked fun at
            Verse 11: God moved away and left David neighbor-less
            Verse 14: Every joint pulled apart
            Verse 16: Thugs gang up on him
            Verse 18: People take all his material possessions
            Verse 21: If God doesn’t show up he’ll be done for
I can identify with some of those things. I can at least figure out that David felt alone, abandoned, and apart from God. I’ve felt that way too. However, my response is not always the same as David’s response was. David turned to looking at all that God has done and will do for him.
David’s response to his troubles starts in verse 22:
            Here’s the story I’ll tell my friends when they come to worship
                        And punctuate it with Hallelujahs.
He goes on to say what he will include in the story in verses 23 – 31, including:
            Verse 23: Shout Hallelujah; He has never let you down
            Verse 24: He’s been there listening
            Verse 26: Down-and-outers sit at God’s table and eat their fill
            Verse 26: Everyone on the hunt for God is praising Him
            Verse 27: People are coming to their senses and running back to God
            Verse 28: God has the last word
            Verse 30 – 31: “Our children and their children will get in on this
                                    as the word is passed along from parent to child.
                        Babies not yet conceived will hear the good news—
                                    that God does what He says.”
I need to model my behavior and responses to my struggles and troubles the same way David did. So today, I shout Hallelujah! Today I recognize that He’s listening. Today I am thankful that He sits me at His table and lets me eat my fill. Today I come to my senses and run back to God. Today I will proclaim all the great things God has done and is doing for me that others will hear the good news and know that God does what He says. Today, no matter how I feel, I turn to God and give Him thanks for all He’s done for me and for all He will do for me in the future.

No comments: