What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Skipping Rope: Psalm 14


Sometimes the way The Message Bible puts things conjures up interesting images in my mind. For instance, Psalm 14:7 says,
“Is there anyone around to save Israel?
            Yes, God is around; God turns life around.
Turned-around Jacob skips rope,
            Turned around Israel sings laughter.”
That’s what I want: Life to be all about skipping rope and singing laughter. The image of people skipping rope brings to mind playing and having fun. That’s what I want for my life. I want it to be like play. I want life to be full of fun. But that doesn’t just happen by chance. It comes about because God works out the details to life and turns our despair into some kind of joy. In the New American Standard Bible verse 7 says,
“When the Lord restores His captive people,
            Jacob will rejoice, Israel will be glad.”
The idea that rejoicing is like skipping rope and playing brings me comfort. I can relate to the playing part being a way of rejoicing. The way to rejoicing in this way is to let God turn my life around.
I also relate these days to being a captive people. I feel held captive by my own thoughts and feelings. When will God restore me? When He does I will feel joy and gladness but when will He do it? Today would be nice. This moment would be nice but I don’t see or feel that happening. But, I know that if I turn to God and try to see things from His perspective, there’s a chance I will feel better. I wait and pray and long for the day I will be restored. I can’t wait to be skipping rope and singing with laughter. I know that if I focus on God enough and trust Him, that day is coming for me just as it came for David and for Israel.
We are now into the holiday season. Thanksgiving is behind me and the Christmas celebration is before me. I pray for the rejoicing and gladness of the season. I don’t feel it right now, but it’s still there waiting for me. If I focus on God and what He’s done in my life, I can have the joy of the season. That’s my goal for this season.

No comments: