What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Psalm 9


I’m not feeling very positive these days. I haven’t been feeling much joy for some time now. Back in April, when I read Psalm 9 for my daily devotion, I was not feeling the happiness I think I should be feeling. I realize that not much has changed with the passing of time. I’m still not feeling very happy.
But, Psalm 9 recounts a time in David’s life when he was feeling the joy and thankfulness of knowing God. Verses 1 and 2 in The Message say,
“I’m thanking You, God, from a full heart,
            I’m writing the book on Your wonders.
I’m whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy;
            I’m singing Your song, High God.”
I should be this joyful for all God has done for me. But, I tend to dwell on the negative far too much. I need to be thanking Him from a full heart. I do try to write of His wonders in my blog articles and sometimes I even succeed. I also try to write words that express joy in letters and emails to friends. Sometimes I even succeed.
But lately, I’m struggling to feel good and struggling to see God’s wonders working in my life. I want to see where God is working in my life and through my life, but I’m struggling.
I don’t know if I can force myself to be whistling, laughing and jumping for joy, but I can sing along with the stereo as I play songs that thank God for what He’s done in this world. Sometimes when I do that, I feel a little more thankful and can feel a little more hopeful. Maybe that was David’s secret to such a joyful life: that whatever else was going on in his life, he found things about God worthy of singing about. David wasn’t always in the best positions. He was often being hunted and was in fear for his life. However, he often found something for which to praise God.
In Psalm 9 in The Message, David was focusing on his enemies turning tail and running away. He noticed that his enemies stumbled and fell on their faces. He noticed God taking charge and setting everything right. What am I missing? Why can’t I see my enemies running away? Sometimes I don’t even know who or what my enemies are.
Regardless of whether I can tell who or what my enemies are, God can still provide a relief from the troubles in this life. Verses 9 and 10 in this same Psalm tell us,
“God’s a safe-house for the battered,
            a sanctuary during bad times.
The moment you arrive, you relax;
            you’re never sorry you knocked.”
How I long for a safe-house. Today I pray that I will experience His safe-house protection and be relieved of the troubles during bad times. Maybe the bad times will still exist, but I can find relaxation by coming to God. Maybe that’s where I can find the joy and happiness I need to live another day.

No comments: