What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Thankful Heart


I’ve been reading through the Psalms in my devotion time. I’m not very far into them yet but I’ve been impacted by David’s large amount of thankfulness for all that God has done for him. Reading from The Message version of the Bible has shed some different perspective on some of the familiar Psalms. The simpler language and the direct statements speak directly to my heart. I’m gaining a sense of thankfulness for the abundance God has provided for me.
In Psalm 9, verses 1 – 2 say,
“I’m thanking You, God, from a full heart,
            I’m writing the book on Your wonders.
I’m whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy;
            I’m singing Your song, High God.”
I like the picture of David whistling and jumping for joy over what God has done. I wish I could say that when people look at me they see someone who is jumping for joy. I’m not sure that is always the case. However, I’m working on it. I’m working on focusing on having a full heart, a full heart of joy at the wonders God is doing in my life.
As I was thinking about these wonders today, I tried to think about the things I have in my life due to God’s abundant provision for me. The list was longer than I expected including things like a loving husband, a vital and growing church, my health, my relative stability in my mental illness, healthy and happy children, a solid roof over my head, three square meals a day, and so much more. Then there were the spiritual gifts like the time and ability to read Scripture daily, the knowledge and desire to do Bible Study, plenty of time to pray, and the ability to live my life differently today than yesterday should I choose.
I have much to jump for joy over. What do you have to be thankful for and to whistle about, laugh about, sing about and be jumping for joy over? Join me in focusing on the good things we have from God and rejoice with me over them.

No comments: