What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Worshipping


What will we be doing in heaven? A glimpse of heaven is seen in Revelation 4 and 5. Everyone there is worshipping God and Jesus. That’s what is recorded for us in Revelation 4:8, 9. It says that each of the four living creatures were proclaiming day and night: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.” It also says that the elders in heaven would join in by falling “down before Him who sits on the throne, and worship Him who lives for ever and ever.”
That’s what everyone in heaven are doing, worshipping and praising God and Jesus. I know I said that already, but I can’t get the point across any other way. I was convicted by how little time I spend worshipping God now. I need to practice this aspect of my walk with God. I need to get ready to be in heaven worshipping. I need to start somewhere so I decided to start by spending five minutes – a long way from day and night – worshipping every morning.
How does one go about praising and worshipping? It’s not enough to just pray. Praying can mean worship but it also means thanksgiving and supplication and confession. Praising isn’t any of those things. Praise is acknowledging God’s attributes apart from how they might benefit me. It’s pronouncing, like the four creatures in heaven, that God is holy, holy, holy. It’s acknowledging that He is the Almighty, the Sovereign, the All-powerful (Omnipotent), the All-knowing (Omniscient), and the Always-present (Omnipresent). It’s proclaiming His truthfulness, His unchangeableness, and His holiness.
Worshipping and praising does involve recognizing His mercy, His love, His grace, and His forgiveness. But it’s recognizing that He possesses the very essence of those things apart from how those things may have an effect on me. If I didn’t exist, God would still be merciful, loving, gracious, and forgiving. If man never existed at all, He would still be merciful, loving, gracious, and forgiving. He is those things just because He is. That’s worthy of our praise.
How much time do you spend practicing worship? I bet, like me, it’s not nearly enough in a day. Why don’t you try it with me. If you run out of things to praise Him for, the Scriptures are full of good ideas. Whether it’s from the Psalms (Psalms 103 and 145 are favorites of mine) or from Revelation 4, 5, there are lots of reasons to praise God. Give it a try. It’s great practice for when we get to heaven.

No comments: