What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Purpose: Chosen For a High Calling


I seem to be drawn to 1 Peter these days. There is a lot to be said about being chosen especially by God and for God in the first few chapters of it. Today I read 1Peter 2:9 – 10 in The Message and really liked the purpose it gives me for continuing to live.
“But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do His work and speak out for Him, to tell others of the night and day difference He made for you – from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.”
I need a sense of purpose in spite of the way I feel. Today is one of those days where I am not quite sure what to do. I’m not feeling well and cannot isolate any specific cause. Waiting to hear results from doctors’ tests make the days seem to go on without meaning. But the truth is there is meaning, a significant purpose in keeping about the activities of the day. I’ve been chosen by God for a high calling of work. What is this high calling?
To be holy, devout, God-fearing, spiritual for the purpose of having others notice God. To be an instrument that God can use to do His work (which is having others notice God). Another part of the high calling is to be a voice for Him, to speak out for Him, to tell others of Him. This should be easy because the message I have to share is a message that says I am night and day different than I used to be and it is all because of what He has done for me. God made me night and day different. I used to be confused, lost, lonely, misunderstood and misunderstanding of others, sad, uncertain of goals and purposes, and so many more things that could cause a lack of peace and calm in my life. Now only a couple of things matter: He’s made me something from nothing and has turned around rejection into acceptance.
That’s worth living for and it’s worth serving Him and speaking out for Him. No matter how I feel today, physically or emotionally, there’s a purpose for my existence. That’s worth celebrating this holiday season.

No comments: