What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Forgiveness Part 1


Forgiveness is the central truth that brought me into my relationship with Christ thirty-three years ago. I wanted to be clean inside and out. I worked for a woman on my street when I was growing up and loved it because I could see instant results; I could see what the wall, table, or laundry looked like when it was cleaned. I saw what clean meant. Yet I felt so dirty in the eyes of others and in the eyes of God.

So when I was told there is a way to be clean in God's eyes, to be forgiven for all my sins, which were numerous, I made a decision to give this kind of God a try. (My religious background had clearly identified all my sins, but I never heard about a way to deal with the sin, especially a way that would "stick" and not have to be confessed over and over again.)

Forgiveness is the theme for this month’s sermons at my church. It was also the lesson at Celebrate Recovery Tuesday night. Some of the concepts, ideas, and Bible passages shared challenged (in my mind) the concept of unconditional forgiveness. Example passages:

· Matthew 6:12: “And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.”

· Matthew 6:14 – 15: “For if you forgive men for their transgressions, your heavely Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.”

· Mark 11:25: “And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone; so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your transgressions. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your transgressions.

Does God forgive me just the way I am? Do I have to do something to be forgiven (like forgive others)? I know the quality of my relationships – with God and with others – depends on my willingness to forgive. However the thought that if I am struggling with forgiving others or myself (such as doubting God's forgiveness, living in guilt and shame, holding onto grudges, and having regrets) God withdraws His forgiveness from me is bothersome.

I did some research looking at the Greek word for the forgiveness and I wrote my Pastor and asked for help in understanding the point of passages like the ones above. I think I have a better understanding . . .

More Friday . . .

No comments: