What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, August 11, 2011

7/11 Worship Revisited


Last week I wrote about 7/11 worship choruses. I still believe they water down the Biblical truths found in the hymns of days gone by. However, as long ago as King David and his writings, the occasional short song was written and probably, in one form or another, sung and repeated at least a couple of times.

So I acknowledge that the choruses have a purpose. I find them most useful when I’m trying to put life into perspective. By this I mean seeing myself as God sees me, and seeing God as He is. I’ve heard that true humility comes from such reflection, and no one knows better than I that I need to seek humility in my life. I am not humble in subtle ways.

Examples: Believing I can fix “things” on my own. Believing I know myself better than God does, and therefore not worthy of His forgiveness. Believing I am unforgiveable. Believing there is no hope in my life or in this world. Believing my feelings are real but God’s promises are not. Believing God cannot/will not possibly love me. In its most basic form these beliefs say the very proud idea that I am bigger, stronger, smarter than God. There’s no humility in that!

All those beliefs are in direct opposition to how God sees me, and how I should be seeing God. In praying, even singing, some basic truths into my heart and mind, I have them firmly planted in my conscious – and subconscious – being. The truth is God forgives me, even though I am not worthy; and as unworthy as I am, God’s great love pours out to me anyway. I don’t understand how this could be. Understanding God is not possible for mankind. That very fact is what makes clear my position as God sees me, and also His position as too awe-inspiring for me to comprehend.

This last week (actually before writing last week’s blog on the failings of 7/11 songs), I read Psalm 117. It is one of the short Psalms; actually it is the shortest Psalm. Yet it addresses both issues of humility, our awe of Him and His faithful love of us. Psalm 117 is worthy of repeated reflection:

Psalm 117: “Praise God, everybody! Applaud God, all people! His love has taken over our lives; God’s faithful ways are eternal. Halleluhah!

Today, this very minute, for as long as I repeat Psalm 117 in my mind and with my voice, I am able to believe in a God immensely bigger than I can imagine, and a God who loves me beyond my understanding. For this moment, I have inward peace, humble before God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We may not understand God's love but when we accept God's unconditional love in our hearts we are free to love more perfectly. This kind of agape love is a gift we can't earn it and it only comes from God. He loves us as is and no strings attached. Free to be me as God's child and free to serve others. God gave me to care and soften my heart. I can't ever thank Him enough but I do give God all my praise and glory for what the LOrd has one. Your blog brought tears to my eyes.