What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, August 4, 2011

7/11 Worship


Church music bores me; at least some church music bores me. A pattern has developed in “modern” Christian music where a chorus is all there is in a “worship” song. It used to be the chorus would be sung between verses, usually verses packed full of God-truths. As an example, one of my favorites is It Is Well With My Soul by Horatio G. Spafford.

There are six verses divided by a chorus (or refrain). I particularly like verses 1 and 2:

1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my

way,

When sorrow like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me

to say,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Chorus/Refrain: It is well, with my soul,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,

Let this blest assurance control,

That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,

And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Chorus/Refrain: It is well, with my soul, It is well, it is well, with my soul.

The verses are statements of truth explaining why “it is well” for the composer in the midst of his earthly struggles. It is not enough to know it is well with my soul. Knowing the circumstances that brought forward the need to worship is necessary for complete understanding of a chorus. (The story around It Is Well With My Soul is the composer’s loss of family to a shipwreck and yet he can say he is well in spite of the situation and his grieving).

So my beef with modern worship music stems from my desire to know why and when and how we need to trust and worship God as the choruses tell us to do. Without the verses, that kind of understanding is not possible. I’ve heard these choruses called 7/ll songs (7 words, sung 11 times). Just like a 7-11 convenience store, the choruses are convenient, quick, and can only provide the bare minimum needed – and at a much lower cost than a bigger store could provide. 7/11 choruses do not meet all our needs; they are superficial and water down the way we worship God.

While I can go to my favorite hymns to get the depth I seek, there is a generation, like my own children, who have been raised on the superficial choruses. They know those pretty well, but will those “seven” words sustain them in the struggles that will come their way? I wish they will, but I’m ready to share deeper levels of worship should the need arise.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Mary - For me, it's the mindless repetition (the 11 times) that just makes me nuts! I used to like praise and worship choruses, and I still do if we only sing them once or twice, but I just can't take the over and over and over again! ADD maybe!!

Timothy Favelle said...

Ya, that...

And it's not like I'm against other people "worshipping" God through repetition of these choruses. It apparently works for these people, and I'm happy for them. I just happen to worship God more in my service to him than any singing; I'm not musically inclined. I think I did worship through music and dance when I was younger, but something about the whole thing made me want to move away from the church scene.

yanmaneee said...

adidas ultra boost
yeezy 700
supreme
golden goose outlet
nike air max 97
hermes handbags
off white shoes
kobe basketball shoes
supreme clothing
air max 2018