What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Seek the Lord Jehovah


Picking back up in 1 Kings, some time has passed. The Scriptures do not explain the hows or whys but at the beginning of chapter 22, King Ach’av (Ahab) of Israel and King Y’hoshafat (Jehoshaphat) of Judah had become allies. They met to form plans for battle against the occupiers of Ramot-Gil’ad that was in the ancestral lands God had given Israel.
The two kings agreed to fight together, but Y’hoshafat had a request before they finalized the plans. Verse 5 (CJB) explains: “But Y’hoshafat said to the king of Isra’el, ‘First, we should seek the word of Adonai.’” Ach’av assembled the prophets (who were not Jehovah followers) and they all did their song and dance rituals. They determined God would provide a great victory for the joint armies of Israel and Judah. But Y’hoshafat was not satisfied.
But Y’hoshafat said, “Besides these, isn’t there a prophet of Adonai here that we can consult?” The king of Isra’el said to Y’hoshafat, “Yes, there is still one man through whom we can consult Adonai, Mikhay’hu the son of Yimlah; but I hate him, because he doesn’t prophesy good things for me, but bad!” Y’hoshafat replied, “The king shouldn’t say such a thing.” (Verses 7-8)
So Mikhay’hu (Micaiah not to be confused with Micah) was summoned, probably from a dungeon where Ach’av had him for safekeeping and out of his way. Micaiah gave the kings God’s message, which was unfavorable for Ach’av, predicting he would go up to battle and be killed. Y’hoshafat was actually spared being harmed, while a random arrow struck Ach’av “between his lower armor and his breastplate” (verse 34). There is much more to these events, but I’m going to focus on one aspect, an aspect we can and should all do.
What did Y’hoshafat do that was different than Ach’av? Why was he spared while Ach’av was not? I’m not sure of all of the possible answers, but one thing stood out to me. Y’hoshafat sought the true God’s (Jehovah’s) words. He did not settle for words from the wise men of his era. He did not read every note from the people. He did not rely on anything but God. I’m also trying to not rely on Facebook or TV news or rumors for my information. All I really need to know is what would God have me do next.
So we also need to seek the one true God’s will and commands when we are getting ready to go to battle. Our battles these days have to do with the uncertainty of the future, both immediate future and long-term future. Who would have thought that the state of the United States (even the world as a whole) would be what it is today. Very little is “normal.” There is fear, social distancing, economic worries, and so, so much uncertainty. Even the “experts” in the fields of medicine cannot agree on the facts about the coronavirus sweeping the world.
I can easily let a sense of unrest and fear overwhelm me, however, I daily (and moment to moment) pray to God. I especially acknowledge His greatness, power, and plans for victory. It’s the most and the least we can do. We can approach major decisions as Y’hoshafat did. Seek out God and His Word for direction. Turning to God will be our salvation from the worries of these times. I don’t assume to understand His answers, and I don’t even know what tomorrow holds for us, but I rely on the One who does.

No comments: