What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Loopholes


1 Kings chapters 5-8 are all about the Temple being built in Jerusalem. While it’s an interesting read, and the commentator we use (Tom Bradford) highlights some important points we need to understand for our future study of the history of Israel, there are not a lot of practical commands or doctrines for people today. The measurements (in cubits) and the materials used (Lebanese cedar wood, lots of gold, bronze, intricate carvings and statues) are hard for me to understand or really imagine. The Temple, and later, Solomon’s palace were structures to behold. They were easily the grandest things in Israel.
In verse 51 of chapter 7, there are items mentioned that were not included in the construction and furnishing of the Temple or Palace:
Thus all the work that King Shlomo [Solomon] did in the house of Adonai was finished. After this, Shlomo brought in the gifts which David his father had dedicated — the silver, the gold and the utensils — and put them in the treasuries of the house of Adonai. (Complete Jewish Bible)
The second half of this verse says that Solomon did not include David’s gifts in the Temple itself, but put those gifts in the treasury. If we look back at 2 Samuel 7, the prophet Nathan relayed to David what God said about David building the Temple. The bottom line was that David was not to do it. David wasn’t completely satisfied with that answer. David quickly began looking for loopholes. He wouldn’t “build” the Temple but he would supply all the materials needed for it. He wouldn’t build the Temple but he would have fine craftsmen make beautiful and expensive vessels to be used in the Temple.
David was looking for ways to get away with something he was told not to do. He was looking for ways to get away with not doing the commands God had given him. Before we get too harsh with David, we need to evaluate our own lives. Aren’t there things we are directed not to do, but immediately we begin searching for loopholes (think taxes if you can’t think of something else)? Aren’t there places we say, “I’m technically following a rule or command, but not following the spirit of the rule?”
I am confronted by my own loophole hunting. Maybe not violating God’s commands openly and willfully, but how many times do I say, “Just this once,” or “It’s not hurting anyone.” It may not even be a Scriptural principle I’m trying to find loopholes for. Sometimes it’s just trying to get out of doing something I said I would do. “It doesn’t matter that much.” However, each time I lose my integrity, at the very least, I feel bad about me. God gives us rules and commands to keep us safe and focused on Him (not on how many sweets I can eat before gaining weight).
This week I’m going to keep my word (even if it’s only between God and myself), and stop looking for loopholes.

No comments: