What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Don't Give Up


Mental health issues are a big part of my life. Lately I’ve been feeling the effects of my cycling patterns with my bipolar disorder, the changing of the seasons, having less daylight, and various life events. I’m depressed.

I’ve searched and prayed for permanent answers so I don’t have to deal with these aspects of myself. I’ve tried to believe that God expects us to be happy all the time. (Notice, I said “happy.” That is distinctly different from the joy I have in knowing Christ and looking forward to the fruition of His eternal promises.) I am coming to a point of acceptance that happiness is just an emotion like any other, and it will come and go from time to time. Just like I should not expect anger, loneliness, or despair to totally disappear from my life as a human being, I cannot expect that happiness will be a constant. God did not create us as robots. He gave us emotions for a reason – I’d say, for information – that we are better able to know Him and serve Him. I can’t say I have it all figured out yet, and probably will not as long as I walk on the earth. I can learn to deal with them in appropriate ways, and I get tremendous help from the Scriptures.

That said, I read Luke 18:1-8 for my Quiet Time one morning this week. This passage is the parable of the judge that was worn down by the repeated appearance and requests of a widow woman. Luke’s narration in the first verse, which introduces the parable, challenged me. I had just written down on my “emotions chart” for my therapist that the primary emotion for the last week has been “discouraged.” Then I read the passage and verse one summarized one of my problems right now. In the Amplified Bible it says,

"Now Jesus was telling the disciples a parable to make the point that at all times they ought to pray and not give up and lose heart,” 

Other versions say “never quit” (MSG) and “faint” (KJV). So I looked up “faint” in Abingdon’s Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible (this resource is keyed to the King James Version of the Bible and gives the exact Hebrew (Old Testament) or Greek (New Testament) word with a brief definition).  The Greek word is “ékkakéo.” Strong’s indicates this means “to be bad or weak, to fail (in heart):-faint, be weary.” Looking for more synonyms, I used W.E. Vine’s An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words: “To lack courage, lose heart, be fainthearted.” I think those words imply that we can do something about the situation to avoid staying discouraged. Note in verse one it says we need to pray at all times, frequently, consistently, and always, depending on the translation. Further, I think it means we are to expect God to answer because He wants to answer. The parable tells of a widow who wore down a civil judge (who did not fear God), and although he didn’t really want to give in to the woman’s request, he did. We don’t even have to try and wear God down. He wants us to ask Him and He wants to answer us, but He wants us to ask Him. He’s just waiting for us to ask (see John 16:24).

So, next on my agenda is to try and figure out what the discouragement is about and pray, and pray again as I encounter discouragement during my days. Figuring out what the discouragement is about will be difficult so my prayer might just be “Help me in my discouragement.” By laying my troubles at Jesus’ feet through prayer, His peace will come over me, even if five minutes later I have to pray again (Philippians 4:6-7).

2 comments:

step885 said...

I was studying on Psalm 139:13-14 this morning because it was in my prayer journal. It led me to one of your posts from 2015 about Inmost Being. "For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
That being said, I can relate to your post with the mental health aspect. I have anxiety. Like you, I must fight the spiritual warfare that is going on AND the real effects that the anxiety has over me. Went to a new primary doctor and just having to re-live and talk about the anxiety made me realize how long it has been with me. (which I know, but prefer to forget) "...whatever is true and lovely, think about these things..."

You have obviously been faithful for at least 4 years with your posts and aside from the weather and daily life, it could be the enemy's tactic of wearing down of the saints. Esp. because this month of celebrating evil is in full force. As followers of Christ, we must speak against these spirits of bondage and spirits of frustration. In Jesus' name, they have NO POWER over us. We are free in Christ and in the POWER of HIS MIGHT! Praise God, Son, and Holy Spirit!
Remain faithful! God will reward you for seeking Him. Your posts are an encouragement to others, and it encouraged me. Thank you. :)

Mary B. Grimm said...

ste885,

Thank you very much for your comments. It is encouraging for me to hear that others are overcoming in Christ's name the powers of mental illness. A large percent of people, especially in the U.S., deal with such issues at some point in their lives; however, many do not have the assurances we have of a loving, mindful, and powerful God.

Thanks also for reminding me that even when it seems like no one is reading my posts, God is using them for His glory. That's why I continue to write.

I'm in the process of publishing a memoir of my struggles and while there is much hardship described in it, there is also a greater amount of hope. It is a revised edition of this book, originally published in 2009. The 1st edition is available now (on Amazon) and I hope to have the revised edition of The Tootsie Roll Lady: a memoir of mental illness, alcoholism and faith out by Christmas. I will announce it on my blog and on Facebook (business page: More Than Wishing).

Thanks again for your words of encouragement.