What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Key to Success


Sometimes getting things done seems like a huge task. I get weighed down with the weight of my concerns, worries, and even the things I’m looking forward to. I’m so caught up in these concerns that I don’t recognize when or if I’m successful. And, I fail to acknowledge the One who was successful thinking it was all my doing. I won’t recognize true success unless I’m focused on whom the success comes from.
It doesn’t matter what skills, intellect, talents, education, or experiences I have that can aid me in achieving tasks. Those things are just gifts from God. We can learn a lot about true success by looking at some aspects of King David’s life. We’ve already discovered some areas where David deviated from the Torah (Old Testament) Laws, yet he was successful in many of his endeavors.
In 2 Samuel 5, two battles against the Philistines are recorded (2 Samuel 5:17-21; 22-25). David succeeded in routing the Philistines both times, a task Saul had been unable to achieve many times while he was king. David’s army beat the Philistines so badly that the Philistines basically ceased to exist. What was the key to David’s success?
He gave the Lord God of Israel all the credit. We read in vs. 10, “David grew greater and greater, because Adonai the God of Armies was with him” (CJB). And in vs. 12 it says, “David then knew that Adonai had set him up as king over Isra’el and increased his royal power for the sake of his people.” In vs. 19, “David consulted Adonai, asking, ‘Should I attack the P’lishtim? Will you hand them over to me?’ Adonai answered David, ‘Attack; I will certainly hand the P’lishtim over to you’” (Again the CJB). In vs. 20b we again see David giving credit to God: “He said, ‘Adonai has broken through my enemies for me like a river breaking through its banks.’” Getting the picture? More references to David and his consulting and crediting God are verses 23 and 25.
I think I need to be seeking God, praying, and giving God credit for the outcomes. Today I spent some extended time with God evaluating what He’s been speaking to me about since January (used my daily Bible reading journals to see a pattern). One of the two things was to be praying more and for more things. In the back of my mind I’ve thought it might be good to pray before I write each week. I’ve heard other Christian writers say they pray for their audiences. I’ve heard stories of people who were devoted to prayer and as they expected, saw God’s answers played out in their lives. These are some of the things and ways I need to be involved in when I’m praying. What specific situations would God have you praying about? What answers are you expectantly waiting for? And, finally, what do you need to be giving credit to God for in your lives?

(CJB stands for The Complete Jewish Bible)

No comments: