What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Another Chance to Trust God


In 1 Samuel 26, we find Saul again pursuing David. And, again, David has the opportunity to kill Saul. And, again, David does not kill Saul. In verses 9-11, David gives two reasons for not striking Saul dead. David gives his companion, Avishai his cousin,  these reasons (based on notes from Matthew Henry’s commentary).
First, in verse 9, “. . . David said to Avishai, ‘Don’t destroy him! Nobody can raise his hand against ADONAI’s anointed without becoming guilty!’” (Complete Jewish Bible, CJB). Reason number one for not killing Saul is it would be a sinful affront to God’s ordinance. This issue of breaking God’s ordinances is taken up again in the New Testament. Romans 13:2 says, “Therefore he who resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves” (NASB). Since the ordinance is to not harm God’s anointed king, David recognizes that it’s not his place to harm Saul in any way. He wanted to be obedient to the commands of God.
In verse 10, “David then added, ‘As ADONAI lives, ADONAI will strike him down, or the day will come for him to die, or he will go down to battle and be swept away.’” (CJB).  The second reason David gives Avishai for not killing Saul is it would be sinful anticipation of God’s providence. David wanted to leave it up to God to determine the time and situation of Saul’s death. Assuming he had the right to decide that, and doing things his own way, would be sinful.
Pondering this, I realized that sometimes I make decisions that are better left up to God. I try to push my agenda and expect my desired outcomes regardless of what Jesus might want or have planned. I’ve seen it in my life and in the lives of others. We push our agenda and it doesn’t work out “right.” Things don’t go as planned. Usually, that results in anger and resentments. Sometimes that leads to further consequences and greater problems to be solved. This especially happens when I fail to take the chaos in my thoughts and situations to God in prayer – before I take some misguided action.
God has called us to be people of prayer. I’m making a new commitment in that area this year hoping for greater peace, direction, and a deepening relationship with God. As our Pastor, Mark Wilson, said Sunday, it’s the basis for a spiritual awakening for individuals and for the church. I want to be further awakened. Prayer and consulting God, before I act, is part of the solution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is reason #3 that David did not kill Saul? Perhaps you can mention that in another future post? Thanks!

Mary B. Grimm said...

I don't know a third reason. I'd love to be educated. Then maybe I can talk about it in a future post. Thanks for your input.