What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, November 1, 2018

No Room For Envy


David and Saul’s story continues in 1 Samuel 18 with several situations that go in David’s favor. At the end of chapter 17, David had just slain Goliath and was presented to Saul as the “champion” who had saved Israel from the onslaught or take over by the Philistines. After David had been identified as the champion by Saul’s general, Abner, Saul becomes concerned with what this might mean for his kingdom.
In verse 1 of chapter 18, Saul’s oldest son, Jonathan, was moved to align himself with David. He didn’t totally split from his father, but he pledged his dedication and friendship to David. Jonathan even gave David his royal garments and armor as a sign of his covenant with David (vs. 3-4). Saul, who was aware of God’s blessings being removed from him (because Samuel had told him so back in chapter 15, verse 28), was suspicious of David. I can only imagine Saul’s reaction to Jonathan’s covenant with David.
A few verses later, we read what Saul’s reaction was to David’s continuing military success and popularity among the people. As David, and presumably Saul, retuned from battles,
The women sang as they played, and said, ‘Saul has slain his thousands, And David his ten thousands.’ Then Saul became very angry, for this [song] displeased him and he said, ‘They have ascribed to David ten thousands, but to me they have ascribed thousands. Now what more can he have but the kingdom?’ Saul looked at David with suspicion from that day on. Now it came about on the next day that an evil spirit . . . came mightily upon Saul, and he raved in the midst of the house, while David was playing the harp with his hand, as usual; . . . [and] Saul hurled the spear for he thought, ‘I will pin David to the wall.’ 1 Samuel 18:7-11
Saul was angry, suspicious, and envious. These feelings and thoughts opened the door for evil behavior. Saul wanted David dead and no longer a rival for the people’s affection or loyalty. So in a state of rage, Saul acted. These thoughts and actions would not subside for the remainder of Saul’s life and evil would continue to rule his life.
Matthew Henry in his commentary on 1 Samuel 18 gave me an application for this passage – and a warning for everyone. He basically said that envy and uncharitableness gives a place for the devil to lead us to evil actions. I’ve experienced phenomena like this in my life. Imagine being overlooked at work for a promotion. How does that make you feel? I became envious and resentful – and as a result I held back on doing the best work I could in my job. Fortunately, it wasn’t the downfall of the organization I was working for, but as long as I remained bitter, the flow of creative ideas I often received from the Holy Spirit (a big part of my job) was stifled. I learned to appreciate the decision to go with a colleague as I had a set back with my mental illness that kept me totally away from work for a week. God knew what He was doing and I had nothing to be envious about.

No comments: