What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Interpreting Prophecies


I’m continuing to go through the Book of Daniel. Chapter 8 is a recounting of a vision Daniel had about the future. He tells us the vision (in writing only) and then tells us he didn’t understand it. He asked, still in his vision, for help in interpreting it and God sent a “holy one” (identified as Gabriel) to give Daniel an understanding of the vision (vs. 16).
However, once Gabriel was done, Daniel still could not comprehend what the vision was about. Gabriel did tell him, “I am going to let you know what will occur at the final period of the indignation, for it pertains to the appointed time of the end (vs. 19).” However, we see at the end of the chapter that Daniel was still confused: “Then I, Daniel, was exhausted and sick for days. Then I got up again and carried on the king’s business; but I was astounded at the vision, and there was none to explain it.” God had given Daniel all the knowledge he was going to get about the end of time.
I believe that’s what God has done for us. We have the Scriptures and some interpretation, but we still cannot be sure what the end of times will look like – or when it will come. This passage is encouraging to me. Why? Because if Daniel, who had interpreted so many dreams and visions, was unable to understand the end times, it’s okay for me to not understand any more than he did. There are so many people (pastors, preachers, authors, lay people) who proclaim they know exactly what’s going to happen and when. Daniel 8 tells me that God has not revealed enough for us to clearly understand what is to come.
It means I can live my life for Him, knowing this could be the last day or just the beginning, in a way that glorifies Him and witnesses to others. Whenever He comes, and however God’s plan unfolds, I want to be ready to meet my Creator and using the gifts He gave me to be about God’s work to the best of my abilities. I will not get caught up in trying to understand or in fearing the end times.

No comments: