What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Opportunities in Disguise: Acts 25


Paul is still imprisoned, but now he’s being held captive by Festus, Felix’s successor. Felix probably left a note explaining the charges against Paul, but he decides to hear from Paul himself, after the Jews he met with in Jerusalem asked for Paul to stand trial in Jerusalem. (Meanwhile, the Jews were setting up an ambush to kill Paul on the journey between Caesarea and Jerusalem.)
Festus, wisely says, that they are free to bring charges against Paul in the Roman court in Caesarea. Possibly Festus had an inkling that all was not kosher with the Jews’ request. Just like Felix, Festus could not determine any Roman law that Paul had broken – especially not a crime deserving death. Paul’s defense clearly outlines his belief in the resurrected Jesus, but Festus didn’t see any significance in it. So, he sent the Jews away empty-handed, but only because Paul made an appeal that he have his citizenship Roman right to be heard in Rome by the emperor.
Festus kept Paul waiting for transport to Rome. While this waiting was going on, Festus hosted Agrippa II in his court. Agrippa knew the Jewish laws and policies better than Festus, so when Festus had an opportunity, he asked Agrippa for some guidance. Agrippa wanted to hear directly from Paul. This gave Paul another opportunity to address rulers and kings as was prophesied back in Acts 9:15. And Paul took the opportunity.
While we might be tempted to say, “Poor Paul. Locked in prison for years,” God was setting the stage for Paul to fulfill the call on his life. As far as we can tell, Paul did not complain or get sullen. He took the opportunities God gave him to share the message of Christ. The challenge is for us to view our struggles as opportunities to share Christ.
One commentator put it this way: “Rather than complain about your present situation, look for ways to use every opportunity to serve God and share Him with others. You problems may be opportunities in disguise.” I actually remember a time one summer when I was in college going to a summer long training with the Navigators’ college ministries. There was a guest speaker who said exactly these words to us. He was undergoing treatment for cancer, probably a fatal cancer. Instead of acting pitiful and hopeless, he was celebrating the opportunities to be joyful and would share his hope with everyone he came in contact with: doctors, nurses, radiologists, ministers, family, friends, other patients, etc.
One thing he said still rings true and sticks with me today: “Use every opportunity as a platform for the gospel.” I can do this by keeping the salvation hope alive in my thoughts. I know that death is not the end for me. I have promises of a life to come. So, I’m trying to use some medical issues I have going on right now as platforms for joy which, in turn, may impress upon someone that my life is different. Maybe they will ask why or maybe I will be able to share parts of my testimony (as Paul did on several occasions). Either way, I keep looking for opportunities to witness for Christ and I start each day off with that as my prayer.

No comments: