What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Positive Changes


Due to factors beyond our control, my Bible study partner and I agreed to skip a week and pick up in Acts 16 next week. So, I thought I’d just write a short piece about what I’m thankful for. Mostly, lately, it’s been a thankfulness for how I’ve changed.
I’m starting to work on my second book, a sequel to the memoir I published in 2009. So I pick up the story in late 2005 and plan on covering the next few years in my recovery from alcoholism and mental illness. I’m learning some things about myself, things I haven’t noticed because the change has taken place over time. I’ve grown and I am recovering (even if it will take a lifelong treatment plan).
One thing I noticed is how, back in 2006, I was still experimenting with not being compliant in taking my medicines as prescribed by my various doctors. I would make adjustments on my own and when things started to fall apart, it would become clear to my health care providers. I would eventually admit my “experimentation, ” but it would often be too late for easy fixes and I’d find myself in the mental hospital. I wasn’t doing it as often as I did in my early recovery, but I was still doing it.
I don’t do that anymore. Just this week, I felt like the combination of sleep medicines I was taking, might be contributing to a grogginess I was feeling in the mornings. I was having trouble getting up and going in the mornings. The thought went through my mind to just take less of the meds. Instead of starting that on my own, I called my therapist, and then, at the therapist’s suggestion, I called the psychiatrist’s office. It took a day and a half of waiting, but the doctor’s office called me back and said I could reduce a med, the one I was planning on taking less of, in small increments until I was down to 1/3 of what I had been taking. However, she also cautioned to monitor my sleep to make sure I was still getting seven to nine hours each night.
That’s just one obvious change that shows that I’m growing and developing healthier coping skills. There were many other incidents in my journals and emails to my best friend from 2007 that reinforce change in my thinking and behavior. For those changes I am truly thankful to God, my sponsors, my therapist(s), and my psychiatrist(s).

No comments: