What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Hallmarks of Conversion: Acts 16:11-40


In Acts 16 we read the story of Paul and Silas being miraculously loosed from their chains in the jail in Philippi. The jailer is ready to kill himself, fearing that the prisoners had escaped and that he would have to serve the punishment for all the escaped prisoners. However, Paul and Silas and all the other prisoners were still in the jail. They hadn’t left, so the jailer’s life was spared.
The jailer’s response was to ask Paul and Silas, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” [vs. 30] The disciples responded with the gospel message: “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved you and your household” [vs. 31]. And, that’s exactly what the jailer did and his whole household came to believe, also.
How do we know that the jailer believed? His behavior toward the disciples drastically changed. Where, on his first encounter with Paul and Silas, he had bound them with chains and thrown them in the innermost dungeon of the prison, he was now taking them home and taking care of their wounds and needs for nourishment [vs. 33]. One commentator, Barnes, said, “Often one of the most striking changes that occurs in conversions is seen in the disposition to be kind and humane to the suffering.” There was also a cross-reference to James 1:22 which says, “This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.”
So I asked myself the following questions: How am I doing in these areas? What opportunities have I let slip by? I can think of times in my past where I’ve cared for the needs of others, those suffering in some way, but I couldn’t think of anything current. I decided to pray for opportunities. As of writing this, I still have not seen any opportunities to directly help orphans and widows, but I have been able to contribute to the finances of our church as they have reached out to ministries in Haiti that work with orphans. I plan on praying more for those ministries this year. And, I’ll keep praying for the eyes to see where there is suffering and how I can help relieve it in the lives of people I come into contact with.

No comments: