What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Use Our Gifts For God: Acts 9:36-43


This section of Acts returns to Peter’s story and the situations that lead up to sharing with Gentiles. Peter performs two miracles in this section: 1. Heals a paralyzed man, and 2. Raises a woman from death. Those miracles are interesting enough, especially the raising of the woman from death because this is the first record of the apostles doing that. However, what I want to look at is the characteristics of two people mentioned in this passage.
First, we are introduced to Dorcus (Tabitha) in verses 36 – 39. Several things are said of Dorcus. She was a disciple living in Joppa (36). She abounded with deeds of kindness and charity (36). She was a seamstress who apparently made garments for many widows (39). The Scriptures don’t tell us that she held Bible studies in her home or spent massive amounts of time in prayer or preaching. What it tells us is she used her gifts to serve the people she was in contact with. It does say she was a disciple, but what characterized her in the Scriptures was her service to others. And what was her gift? Sewing. That’s plain and simple. God used what He gave her to reach out to the those who were in need. She continually performed acts of kindness and charity. That’s a mark of a disciple.
Next, a man is mentioned in verse 43. He is characterized by his occupation: tanner. His name was Simon, and later in Acts 10:6 we are told he lives by the sea. We don’t know much more about this specific man, however, tanners were generally seen as undesirable to hang around with because of their contact with “unclean” things (hides, blood, sinews, etc.) But, God uses this tanner to serve Peter as Peter stayed in Joppa for many days. We can only speculate why Peter would hang out with someone the established religion of the time considered to be unclean. But, one thing is certain. Simon the tanner had the gift of hospitality and was willing to and able to house Peter for many days.
Neither of these gifts, sewing or lodging others, seem to be great spiritual attributes, yet God used these people and their gifts. And they were willing to use their gifts in service to God however He directed them. So, that brings me to a question. Do I use the gifts God has given me to serve Him? Or am I still waiting for God to endow me with some miraculous, powerful, showy gift that will reach millions of people in one fell swoop? I’m probably not going to be the next Billy Graham, but that doesn’t mean that the gifts God has given me are not just as important when used in service to God. Serving God is what gives my life purpose and meaning. My hope is in using the gifts God has given me in service to Him.

No comments: