What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Anyone and Everyone Might Be Saved: Acts 9:13-15


Last week we were introduced to Ananias, the God-fearing and Scripture-believing man in Damascus. He had many positive characteristics, but he also exhibited fear of going to Saul. He knew Saul was a man that had come to Damascus to persecute and arrest believers. He may have viewed Saul as being so far off from Christ that nothing could change him. He may have felt he was putting is life in danger by going to Saul.
He actually questioned God as he saw Him in a vision. “But Ananias answered, ‘Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Thy saints at Jerusalem; and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call upon Thy name.” One commentator said that essentially Ananias was saying, “Lord, not him; that’s impossible. He could never become a Christian.” [Clarke] Yet, God told Ananias to go anyway because He had big plans for Saul, plans that could not be carried out if no one was willing to share the truth about Jesus with Saul.
Before I was a Christian, some may have looked at my lifestyle and listened to my words, and said, “She’ll never become a Christian.” In fact, I was viewed as being a long way off when it came to being open to the Christian message. However, several women persevered in befriending me and eventually one of them did share the gospel message (salvation through Jesus Christ) with me. And I believed. Those women may have thought that their efforts might be in vain, however, God had a plan. Those women were obedient to God and shared with me in spite of my apparent reluctance and antagonism toward spiritual things. Just like Ananias, they did what seemed impractical and a lost cause, and God worked, having prepared me for His Word and hope.
So, I’m challenged today to never say a person is beyond hope. Everyone and anyone is within God’s reach and might be saved. My job is not to judge or decide the path of others. My job is to share as I have opportunity and let God work. No one is beyond God’s reach, not even the persecutor of Christians, then or now.

No comments: