What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Stoning


As I continued reading in Acts 7:54 – Acts 8:3, the description of violence captivated my imagination. I tried to place myself within hearing distance of what was going on before the Sanhedrin. Stephen had just made a great speech highlighting the history of Israel and their continual disobedience to the laws of God. He highlighted that the Sanhedrin was doing the very same things as their “fathers” (the founders and leaders of Israel) had done. They were persecuting God’s prophets, those who were exclaiming Jesus as Messiah. They were refusing to believe and were putting those who believed in prison or were, even worse, persecuting them to the point of death.
The crowd’s response? “. . . they were cut to the quick, and they began gnashing their teeth at him . . . they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears, and they rushed upon him with one impulse. And when they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him and the witnesses laid aside their robes . . . they went on stoning         Stephen . . .” [Acts 7:54 – 58] Violence! Blood! Gore! And people stood around watching and cheering. There were “witnesses” whose presence was an attempt to legitimize the proceedings. No one stood up and tried to protect Stephen. No one stood up for the truth. They just aggressively attacked Stephen or passively witnessed what was going on.
This scene, as I imagined it in my head, convicted me. There are people who are preaching God’s Word and are standing up for Him, who are getting persecuted for it. And I passively watch as it happens. I read the article on my computer or view the story on the news. And, in passing, I might say a prayer silently in my head. But, I’m not really standing up for them. I’m not collecting money for them. I’m not actively doing anything. Now, I realize that I can’t physically support every cause for Christ. I don’t have the finances, the health, the influence to affect much at all. But, I am convicted about not speaking out for Christ in my realm of influence.
Just something to think about and maybe I will take action next time the opportunity appears. In the meantime, know that I’m a Christ-follower and a Bible-believer. I stand up to proclaim the saving good news of Christ to any who will hear.

No comments: