What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Acts 8:13-24: God Judges Sincerity


It’s not my place to judge the sincerity of another’s confession of faith. I can ask God for discernment so I know how to share with someone who may be seeking God, but it’s not my job to “make” them believe.
We have an example of this in Acts 8 when Luke records a situation involving a magician named Simon who was astonishing the people of Samaria with his tricks. He saw Philip preaching and many of the Samaritans were believing in Philip’s message about the Christ. Then Simon saw the apostles arriving from Jerusalem and laying hands on the new believers and the new believers received the gift of the Spirit. Simon wanted the power to do that, too and thought he could buy it from Peter and John. Scripture says in verse 13, “And even Simon himself believed, and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip . . .” So it appears to us that Simon was a believer.
However, later we find out that Simon is still thinking in terms of money. Verses 18 - 19 says, “Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, saying, ‘Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.’” Again it’s not clear as to Simon’s motives or to what extent Simon believed. That belief was to be determined by the Holy Spirit (through the apostles) and not by Philip. Philip’s job was to preach the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ.
Fortunately, there is one that is not fooled and can determine who are true believers and have received salvation. 2 Timothy 2:19 tells us, “Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, ‘The Lord knows those who are His . . .’” That’s a relief to me. I don’t have to worry about whether or not someone truly believes. I can focus, as Philip did, on the preaching of God’s Word, especially the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit knows who is sincere and who is not.

No comments: