What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Where Does Power Come From: Acts 3:1-11


Acts 3:1-11 is the telling of an incident in the life of Peter and John, and of a lame man. Basically, there was this man, lame since birth, sitting near the temple in Jerusalem begging for alms. This was his regular spot and the people going in and out of the temple recognized him as they passed that way. One day, the lame man turned his attention on Peter and John asking for alms as they passed by. Peter and John were not men of wealth – not even earning enough to give some away to this man. So what did Peter and John do? What would I have done?
What Peter did was recorded in verses 6-7: “But Peter said, ‘I do not possess sliver and gold, but what I do have I give to you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene – walk!’ And seizing him by the right hand, he raised him up; and immediately his feet and his ankles were strengthened.” Peter provided healing from Jesus. He could have used this as an opportunity to promote himself and/or John, but he didn’t. It put all the focus on the true source of power: Jesus Christ the Nazarene. The man and the people nearby all had heard of this man, Jesus Christ the Nazarene. By this time they had probably heard the rumors and observations of Jesus’ teachings, death, burial, and resurrection.
The people who saw the man walking and leaping and praising God were “filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.” (Verse 10) The man kept walking with Peter and John into the temple where even more people saw him and were amazed. In fact a crowd began to form. This healing, through Jesus’ power and working through the Holy Spirit, opened up another opportunity for Peter to preach a message to the gathered people. That’s what the rest of Acts 3 is: Peter’s second sermon in Jerusalem.
However, what I want to think about is where Peter’s and John’s healing power came from and what the purpose of the healing was. The power was a continuation of Jesus’ power and a continuation of the healings Jesus had performed during His ministry on earth. It was still Jesus doing the healing. It’s still Jesus today who gives us the power to heal and grow and mature. And the purpose of the healing? To provide a platform, an opportunity, for Peter and John to share more about Jesus. Today the purpose in healing –whether physical, emotional, or spiritual – is so the message and power of Christ might be shared and create a platform for witnessing of Jesus Christ the Nazarene.
I find it hard to see the power of Jesus working in my life through the Holy Spirit. Yet, I know it to be truth. And I know I often fail to take the opportunities God provides for me to proclaim the power of Jesus in my own life situations. I don’t believe I’m alone in my struggles in this area. And, I don’t have any solutions to it, either. However, reading about the apostles and the lame man, encourages me to proclaim Christ’s power whenever I am given the platform to do so. I can only imagine what my life would be like without His power in my life . . . I’d probably be dead and long buried. That possibility is enough to focus others’ attention on the true source of power.

No comments: