What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Thanks for Freedom


I read in one of my devotions today that giving thanksgiving and praise can help “snuff out the lies of the one who wants you bound.” I’ve actually seen the benefit of engaging in the activity. I’ve felt more secure in my spirit as I remember the One who has already won the battle between good and evil. It doesn’t always translate to lasting peace, but it helps for a while.
I just have to do it more often.
This particular devotion focuses on certain health battles I’m dealing with namely weight management. I get down on myself because things aren’t necessarily going the way I want them to. I get down on myself for not doing the things I need to be doing. I get down on myself for blaming God for making me this way. However, all these thoughts and feelings are lies of the one who wants to keep me bound. God desires for us to be free. He’s already arranged for that to happen. In fact, it has already happened in Jesus’ dying on the cross and rising from the dead. The victory is already His.
Romans 7:24 – 25a reminds me that there is One who has provided freedom and victory for me: “What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God – through Jesus Christ our Lord!” My body may be one of death and destruction, but God has already saved me. That’s something to thank and praise Him for. Jesus actually told us how to gain freedom, and it’s not through the lies of Satan. In John 8:32, Jesus said, “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” And, in John 8:36, Jesus said where the freedom comes from: “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
So I need to combat the lies of Satan and hold fast to the Truth. The truth is what sets me free. I may still struggle with my earthly body, but even that can be remedied if I focus on the truth instead of believing the lies. In order to do this on a regular basis, I need to be committed to praising and thanking the One who sets me free from the bondage of earthly things. I know I feel better about myself and have more energy to do the next right things when I’m filled with the security that praise and thanksgiving brings me. When I’m believing the lies, I struggle and waste a lot of energy beating myself up.
Today, I will go to praise and thanksgiving every time I start to give in to the lies and believe that I am stuck and worthless. I’ve been set free by the Truth.

No comments: