What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Dealing with Shame


Many people experience shame at some point in their life. I often feel shame as I’m not what I hope to be. I’m not thin enough, smart enough, good enough, loving enough, athletic enough, and many other enoughs. Actually, I go farther than not being enough of something to holding the position that I’m bad, ugly, fat, cynical, unloving, stupid, weak and out of shape. I identify myself by those things. I say, “I am             .” instead of I’ve done something bad or unloving. I’ve learned I’m not supposed to do that, however what replaces the feelings of shame is a question that was answered in my Quiet Time with God this morning.
Psalm 34:5 tells me how to avoid feeling ashamed: “They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces shall never be ashamed.” [NASB] The NIV version of the Bible says it a little differently: “Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.” The answer comes from looking to God for my value and self-worth. He sees me totally different than I see myself.
When I’m looking to God for my value, I am radiant. Radiant means, “sending out light; shining or glowing brightly.” That’s what I want to be: Shining and sending out the light of God to others. When I’m filled with shame and seeing myself from that point of view, it is much harder to shine forth God’s light into the world. Another Psalm puts it this way: “Indeed, none of those who wait for Thee will be ashamed.” [Psalm 25:3a] Or in the NIV: “No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame.” The Amplified Bible adds some dimension to what waiting for Thee means. “Yes, let none who trust and wait hopefully and look for You be put to shame or be disappointed;” Trust, wait hopefully, and look to Him.
That’s the remedy for shame. I need to look to God and His Word, trust what He says about me, and patiently wait as I place all my hope in Him. Then shame and disappointment will not be an overwhelming feeling in my life, and it will show on my face.

No comments: