What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, January 28, 2016

God's Plans


It’s hard for me to believe that it’s only been a couple of weeks since I decided having emotions won’t hurt me. It seems like a long time ago that I had that realization. And today, I’m having trouble believing it. My therapist said there would be days like this. I was hoping she would be wrong.
Mostly what I’m feeling today is anxiety. This is caused, I believe, by a number of unknowns in my life. All I can do is wait to see what happens in several of these situations. That is an uncomfortable place to be. It means going about my day as best I can putting aside the worries and wonderings of things that won’t happen until a later date. I would much rather know and try to do something about things, but there’s just nothing I can do today to deal with the situations causing me anxiety.
One of the anxieties has to do with doing things outside my comfort zone. However, God addressed that issue in my Quiet Time this morning. I read in Joy Breaks (the book I’ve been using as a jumping off point for my meditation and exploration of the Word), “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.” [Proverbs 16:9] So, what this says to me is that even if I could make plans, God ultimately causes things to go the way He wants them to.
A friend of mine is fond of saying, “Man plans, God laughs.” This verse reminds me of that. I don’t think God is laughing at us to make fun of our plans, but He’s probably thinking, “If they only knew the glorious plans I have for them.” His plans are so much better than what I could plan. My small plans could very easily be making God laugh as a parent laughs at the plans of a two year old. They might be grand plans, but the parent has a bigger picture in mind.
So today, I’m trusting that God’s plans, the course He has set for me, is so much grander than all my worries. Trusting God doesn’t necessarily take the fears of the unknowns away from me, but it does remind me that He is in control and that His plans are for my greatest good. My plans are very limited in scope whereas His plans are all encompassing. His plans takes care of every aspect of my life.
So for this moment (if not for the whole day), I can rest secure in His care and provision for every aspect of my life. Whew. The anxiety is a little less for the time being.

No comments: