What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Looking Ahead to the Future


My daughter inspires today’s article. When she was going off to college three years ago she took along a homemade poster with a specific verse as the focal point. I saw that poster again on Tuesday when I helped her move into her apartment for this school year.
The poster’s central focus is on the reference of Deuteronomy 31:8. I like it best in the Amplified Version of the Bible:
“It is the Lord Who goes before you; He will [march] with you; He will not fail you or let you go or forsake you; [let there be no cowardice or flinching, but] fear not, neither become broken [in spirit—depressed, dismayed, and unnerved with alarm].”
As the school year begins, I’ve been thinking about what I will do while everyone is at school or other activities. Several suggestions have been given to me, but when I think of them, I am afraid to pursue any of them. I’m afraid I will “mess up” somehow. However, in general, I’ve demonstrated the ability to do many tasks and to do them well. I’ve not really failed at anything to which I’ve set my mind. However in my low mood it took several people reminding me of that. And, one of those persons was my therapist. We talked about how, with God’s help, I’ve managed to raise successful children, stay married for over 29 years, complete college (twice), maintain long term relationships with several friends, and a few other things.
The verse in Deuteronomy 31 reminds me that I am not going to pursue something new on my own strength. There is One who goes before me. He’s marching, actually going before me to set things up for me as I press on to the future. He will not fail me or forsake (some versions say “leave”) me. He instructs us to not be cowards or flinching, and to have no fear as we move into new territory. Finally, He instructs us to not become broken. This part of the Amplified Bible’s version is what I like most about this verse – we are not to be depressed, dismayed, or unnerved with alarm. I’m not sure I can choose not to be depressed, but I can choose to not let that become the defining element in my life. I can rely on God’s strength and help and focus on the good things in my life. I can stand strong with God and not be afraid of what the future might hold. By trusting in God, I can avoid becoming unnerved by alarming situations.
So, I’ve decided to make a poster of my own with Deuteronomy 31:8 at the center. I will stick it up on my office wall and begin trusting God, one day at a time, to go before me and pave the way for whatever new venture I may try to take on.

No comments: