What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Power Outage


There’s nothing like the loss of power in one’s life to help simplify your existence. That happened around here this week and as a result, I was unable to use the computer to write or post a blog article in a timely manner. One storm rolled through and the electricity was out for about 35 hours, just enough time to force us to a hotel for the night.
I did not really have time at the hotel to write a blog article while I had electricity. Yet I did find a way to check my email and Facebook page. I found that I really missed the connection to people that I so take for granted in my life. The temporary loss of power reminded me of how fortunate I am to have all the conveniences of modern society. Gone are the days when you have to handwrite a physical letter, address an envelope, put a stamp on it, and take it to the post office to be mailed when you want to communicate with people. I’m just old enough to remember those days. How the times have changed.
We now have almost instant correspondence with those we wish to remain in contact with. Even without power in my home, I was able to text my son, Facebook message a friend, and check my email via my iPhone. I didn’t even need a wireless connection to do it. I’m sitting here debating whether this is a good thing or not. In some ways it makes communication easier and more rewarding. Yet letter writing with pen and paper is becoming a lost art. I cherish the few correspondence I get from friends and family that arrives by traditional mail service. I usually display the cards and notes on my desk so I can reread them and enjoy them many times over. I wonder if others would appreciate such correspondence from me.
The power outage gave me something to think about. And reminded me to be thankful for all that I have. I could look at the loss of electricity as an inconvenience that I’d rather not have to deal with, but today I choose to see it as the reminder it is: we have so much to be thankful for. However, I’m also thankful that we were only without electricity for 35 hours and that we are now safely back in our home.

No comments: