What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hope in the Context of Scripture


I think hope is an emotion I’m not very good at recognizing or feeling in my life. So I decided to do a study of Scripture on what hope is. There were 146 places where the word “hope” is used in the Bible. Many of them were in the Psalms. A few are listed below.
A common theme is from where the Psalmist got his hope. It seems like hope is found in the Lord. So when I think I need hope, I need to focus on Him. I like what Psalm 42:5 says. “Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence.” It’s the help I get from God that gives me the hope I need to get through any circumstance. So when I am in need of hope, I need to look to God and remember the help He’s given me in the past.
I still struggle with being hopeful, but God assures me that I can be hopeful when I focus on Him. So, this week I’m going to try to focus on the hope I have in Him for a few moments every day. To do that I’m going to look for hope in the Scriptures I read each morning. When I see how God has helped other people, like the people who wrote the Psalms, I’m able to believe that He will also help me.
Psalm 9:18 “For the needy will not always be forgotten, Nor the hope of the afflicted perish forever”
Psalm 31:24 “Be strong and let your heart take courage, All you who hope in the Lord.”
Psalm 33:18 “Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, On those who hope for His lovingkindness,”
Psalm 33:22 “Let Your lovingkindness, O Lord, be upon us, According as we have hoped in You.”
Psalm 38:15 “For I hope in You, O Lord; You will answer, O Lord my God.”
Psalm 39:7 “And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You.”
Psalm 42:5 “Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence.”
Psalm 62:5 “My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice piece on hope in God, from the Bible. Let us hope in Him.