What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fruits of the Spirit as Positive Emotions


I’ve been writing about positive emotions, trying to identify them and figure out what they mean to me. One suggestion given to me was to look at the Fruits of the Spirit as possible positive emotions. Galatians 5:22 – 23 says,  “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” In the last few weeks, I’ve written about love, joy and peace but I’m not sure the other things in this list are emotions. What do you think?
They seem more like actions to me. Maybe they are attitudes to have, but not really emotions to experience. I easily get confused as to what is an emotion. Just this week I tried to identify laziness as an emotion and was told it’s a judgment, an evaluation and not an emotion. So can patience be an emotion? I know people say, “I feel patient” but is it really a feeling or is it a decision to be patient. I think it’s a decision. So, I’m not going to write about it as an emotion.
The other fruits of the spirit – kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control – don’t seem like emotions to me either. I guess I will need to do some more praying about these things. If you have any thoughts on whether these are emotions or not, feel free to write a comment.
And, have a wonderful 4th of July.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I agree; they don't seem like emotions, but more like actions. For what it's worth.