What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Unleavened Bread


No I’m not going to give a recipe. Well not in the normal sense of the word. But there is a recipe for living a life that is pleasing to God. That recipe is to live an uncorrupted, pure, sinless life.
If only that was possible all the time. However, I know I often fail and do or think things that do not please God. How can I avoid displeasing God? Each day is a new chance to try and live a life pleasing to God. I need to wake up each morning and start by asking the question, “What would God have me do today?” In AA, we ask, “What’s the next right thing I should be doing?” If I can start my day that way, I have a greater chance of living a life that is closer to pleasing God.
My biggest failure in this area comes in my thought life. It’s not like I set out to actually assassinate anyone, but if thoughts could kill . . . And, it’s not usually any specific person that I’m thinking about. It’s humanity in general. I would change some things if I could. But just thinking that things should be changed is a behavior that leads to discontent, bossiness, and overall dissatisfaction with my life. That’s not the way God wants me to live or think. He wants me to be content with what He’s given me. He wants me to be satisfied with where I’m in life.
I’m not saying there are not things I need to change. There are many things I need to change about my life. It’s when I start to want things to change that are outside of my control that I get into trouble. It’s believing I can change the world – or just other people around me – that gets me into trouble. It’s believing I can force things to be my way that leads to living a life that is not pleasing to God. He wants me to accept and love other people. I don’t have to approve of how others act or think, but I do have to love them and accept them for where they are.
I tend to believe I have the power to change my world. That is thinking corruptly, with leaven in my heart. When I’m accepting and loving, I’m at peace with my world and living a much more uncorrupted life, a purer life, an unleavened life. As I continue looking at my Bible Study this week on Unleavened living, I realize just how far I have to go to follow Jesus’ example of living an unleavened life. He was pure and totally uncorrupt in every way. That’s the example He sets for me. He wants me to be unleavened bread, just as He is in this corrupt world.

No comments: