What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Disguised Blessings


A friend recently shared this song with me.

Blessings  
by Laura Story

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we’d have faith to believe

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not our home

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise

I hadn’t heard it before but it spoke to my heart. It’s hard to wrap my head around the idea that maybe the “bad” stuff in my life is really the stuff God’s puts in my life to improve my life.

I remember times when I’d be in a hurry and the traffic light would turn red. I’d think that maybe this traffic light just saved me from an accident up ahead, so I’d accept the apparent “misfortune” of the red light as a possible good thing. But, how different and difficult it is to view other things in my life with the same perspective. As this song says, “What if trials of this life are [God’s] mercies in disguise?” What if my illnesses, and all the struggles that come from them, are God’s best for me? I need to try to be thankful for what I do have. Maybe without these struggles I would have something so much worse.

This is not easy. It is hard to look at the things in my life I view as unfair or overwhelming from the perspective that they might be exactly what God wants for me, His best for me. I can be thankful or resentful when I think about this. But what I have to remember is that God’s best for me is the absolute best there is. Being resentful will not do any good. Being thankful can only bring good. So as I try to think of the things in my life as God’s blessings in disguise, I will try to give thanks to the One who gives me His absolute best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Preach it, Sister!!