What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Writer's Block

Writer’s block. Block or not, I must write. That’s what the writers at the Writers’ Conference said. I’ve read books on writing. They all say ignore the supposed block and write. (One of my favorite reads about writing is The Right to Write, by Julia Cameron.)

I have found that when I feel like I can’t think of anything to write, I am avoiding something. This week I’ve been avoiding some things. One psychologist I talked with told me that I am addicted to anything, and everything, that will allow me NOT to feel or deal with my emotions. There are the obvious addictions: alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, shopping, gambling, and food. There are the less obvious. Some even seem to be good for us. But, when moderation is not enough, even those good things can become a way to distract from the real issue(s) – usually, for me, the emotions. Reading, listening to music, cruising the internet, Facebook, sleeping, “daydreaming,” helping others, taking on too many responsibilities, and even folding the laundry can be ways to avoid feeling and thinking about what is really going on.

This week I’ve been sleeping a lot. I do feel tired. Avoiding is as hard – tiring and time consuming – as dealing with the emotions and thoughts directly. The only possible benefit of avoiding is that, for a time, a short time, there is no sense of pain. Just numbness and emptiness exist in the cave I go to when I’m choosing to avoid. Unfortunately, I can’t stay hidden in the cave. Doing that, while I sometimes think it would be great, is not living. So, just as with a drunk, when the effect wears off, the world and its problems are still waiting. Often worse or heavier or more urgent than before escaping.

So why the “writer’s block?” Writing is a therapeutic tool for me. When I force myself to organize my thoughts into words, then sentences, then paragraphs, a complete idea forms and it begins to make sense. The writing holds the leaking, scattering, swirling thoughts together. This week I’ve been letting the thoughts leak out. I’ve been letting “writer’s block” be my excuse.

Today I will push past the addictions in my life holding me away from fully feeling and realistic thinking about the stuff that frightens me and confuses me. Today, I write. Today, I wrote this. It’s a start.

No comments: