What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, March 10, 2011

David and Bipolar Disorder


I “get” David. I think he would “get” me. I’m talking about the David, the one who killed the giant, the one who became King of Israel, the one who committed adultery with Bathsheba, the one God said was a man after His own heart, and the one that wrote many of the Psalms.

I see what David was like from his very personal writings, the songs and poems found in Psalms. His writings tell of his total despair and hopelessness, quickly followed by joy and hope in God. David goes from:

“Listen and help, O God. I’m reduced to a whine and a whimper, obsessed with feelings of doomsday” [Psalm 64:1; The MESSAGE]

to:

“Be glad, good people! Fly to God! Good-hearted people, make praise your habit!” [Psalm 64:10; The MESSAGE]

in a matter of seconds, definitely within a few minutes.

Despair – Euphoria – Depression – Joy – Hopelessness – Hope – Doubt – Confidence.

This pattern is so familiar to me. If there were therapists and psychiatrists in David’s era, would David have been “diagnosed” with Bipolar? I can look at this in a few ways.

For instance, I could say that the extreme moods are “normal” and that David was able to be safe (from himself, especially when depressed) by trusting God. So, if I trust God like David did, without doubt -- oh, wait David did doubt at times – I should be okay. I don’t need therapists, psychiatrists, or medicines; I just need faith.

Or I could look at it and ask, “Would David have had an easier time, with fewer mood swings, less despair and doubt, if he had the benefit of a therapist and/or psychiatrist?” It is not that I don’t believe God can heal me, completely, from my alcoholism, diabetes, and Bipolar Disorder. He can! Again, He can! Yet, sometimes He doesn’t. I don’t presume to know the mind of God. That is preposterous, utterly absurd.

I don’t know why He hasn’t healed me, but I do know He has protected me, provided help, and used me in the midst of my struggles. He uses our distress and troubles to give us the empathy needed to help others with similar distress and troubles. [2 Corinthians 1:3ff]

David’s accounts of his “issues,” of his “symptoms” bring me encouragement. He gets me. And, I can follow his example and help others by getting them.

No comments: