What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Droughts


Elijah pronounced a severe drought from God throughout the northern country of Israel, Sidon, and Tyre as evidence that God was not pleased with their idol worship. The drought rapidly became severe; there wasn’t even the evening or morning dew.
Of course, Elijah was not exempt from the consequences of the drought. God sent him to a wilderness area away from people. Elijah went. He didn’t know how he was going to survive. The drought became a learning experience for Elijah where he learned to trust God for his every need. There was a little stream that didn’t dry up right away. God did a remarkable miracle in ordering the ravens to bring Elijah food fit for human consumption each and every day. Have you ever tried to get a raven to do your bidding? Of course not! We just know they are not readily trained to even care about people. As a matter of fact, they are more likely to snatch seeds from our fields preventing a harvest.
Elijah grew to trust and rely on God in new ways during the drought. I’ve also experienced droughts. I’ve been emotionally isolated, away from people, distant from God, and away from the joy, happiness, love, and care of others (or at least it felt that way to me). During such times, I pleaded with God for the things I thought I needed. I was often wrong and God gave me exactly what I truly needed. Much like Elijah, God used the droughts in my life to deepen my trust in Him. Over time I’ve seen how He’s given me exactly what I needed, and many of the things I wanted. He used the droughts to drive me closer to, and more dependent,d on Him.
God gives another example of how a drought can work to draw us to Him. In Genesis, where I’ve been reading in my daily Quiet Times, an earlier drought is talked about. This drought drove Jacob and his sons to Egypt for their sustenance. They found Joseph, who they assumed was dead after the brothers sold him into slavery, in charge of Egypt’s vast resources. The drought would’ve wiped them out, but that was not God’s plan. He provided for them, by orchestrating the series of events (read Genesis 37-50) that allowed for them to be reunited with Joseph and to survive the drought. As the brothers repented before Joseph, they were also repenting before God, restoring relationships.
I’m thinking I do not want any more droughts. However, I’m also thinking if they drive me to depend more heavily upon the Almighty God for my care and sustenance, I welcome the hardship into my life. I hope I remember to turn to God with my whole heart and learn more deeply the depth, and the breadth of God’s power and love.

No comments: