What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Being Extraordinary


The more I read and study in 1 and 2 Samuel, the more I realize all of David’s flaws. It could lessen my respect for him, but what it’s doing is encouraging me.
David felt the same emotions, committed flagrant sins, made similarly poor choices, and left a legacy for his family of mixed value and outcomes just as I do today. He was an ordinary man. The record of his life in 1 and 2 Samuel proves he was an ordinary man. He was not superhuman. He was not without grave flaws. He was not the perfect man some like to believe he was. He was ordinary.
There’s a New Testament character that is also often viewed as doing little or no wrong. Paul. Yet we have in Paul’s own words, that he was unable to do the all the things according to the Law given by Moses. He wrote Romans 7:15 after his encounter with Jesus. It says,
For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. (NASB)
The passage also implies that Paul knew he was unable to think and act as a perfect man. Recalling to my mind the grave injuries Paul caused for the early believers, even putting some to death, I can see his ordinariness. When I contemplate that he had disagreements with fellow-laborers, even to the point of severing relationships I see another flaw. (In Acts 15:37-40 there’s an account of some sharp disagreements with John Mark and Barnabas that had profound impact on the missionary work of those early days.)
Ordinary people. Just like me they had flaws and folly. YET, God used them in extraordinary ways. Their ultimate saving characteristics were steadfast commitment to the person and purposes of God. They may have even faltered in those commitments, yet they always returned to worshiping and obeying God.
I can be like that, too. I can continually recognize God for who He is. I can have a steadfast commitment to the purposes of God. I can and do practice worshiping God daily. And I can repent and turn back to His Word and obey it as often as I need to. Ultimately, the flaws and failings of the great men in Scripture encourage me. Just like them I can be extraordinary.
As Tom Bradford in his Torah Class notes said, “David proves he is an ordinary man but he was elevated to extraordinary by God’s decision and declaration.” God can elevate you and me if He so chooses. I need to be ready to obey and watch God make me extraordinary, too.