What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, May 16, 2019

God's Gifts


Appointments, Mother’s Day, Birthdays. These things kept me from spending a lot of time in Bible study prep this week. As a result, there is a lot left to study in 2 Samuel 12 for this coming week. I did, however, undergo a bit of conviction this week from verse 8.
In chapter 11, David committed adultery and murder. God saw it as evil (as we should). In Chapter 12, God dishes out His reproof and sentence for David’s evil. In verses 7- 8 in the CJB it says,
Here is what Adonai, the God of Isra’el says; ‘I anointed you king over Isra’el. I rescued you from the power of [Saul]. I gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives to embrace. I gave you the house of Isra’el and the house of [Judah]. And if that had been too little, I would have added to you a lot more.
Basically, according to the various commentators, God is saying, I gave you wonderful gifts, all you could ever want, but it wasn’t enough for you. David still wanted something that wasn’t his to have. He wanted Bathsheba despite all that God had given him and would give him if David had asked.
Tom Bradford in his study of 2 Samuel gives us a warning. We are not much different than David. David desired good gifts that God did not intend for him to have. I’ve done the same thing. God distributed gifts of the Spirit to us. Each person handpicked by God for the gifts, talents, abilities He’s intended for them to have. Yet we, at least I know I have, desired other gifts – or to not have the ones I do have. Some people want the “showy” gifts: teaching, leadership, generous giving, and performing miracles. But the behind the scenes gifts are just as valuable in God’s economy: mercy, hospitality, service. Romans 12:6 in the NASB, says, “And since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let each exercise them accordingly.” Instead of pining after other gifts, let us exercise the gifts God has given each of us. 

No comments: