What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 7, 2019

Judgment (I know this isn't a very nice word)


We don’t like to think about judgment. At least I know I don’t. Whether it was from a parent, a teacher, a coach, a colleague, or a student, I don’t like it. Sometimes I feel I’m being judged unfairly or too harshly. I rarely see it as a good thing, an instructive thing. \
When God judges it may be instructive and our repentance leads to forgiveness. This wasn’t so in the case of Saul. In 1 Samuel 28, Saul is reminded of God’s judgment upon him. In 1 Samuel 15:26 and 28, Samuel pronounces the judgment on Saul from God.
But Samuel said to Saul, “I will not return with you; for you have rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord has rejected you from being king over Israel.”
So Samuel said to him, “The Lord has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today, and has given it to your neighbor who is better than you.
In 1 Samuel 28 the proclamation of Saul’s demise is explained further and specifically. He believed he was talking to the dead Samuel and the dead Samuel gave him the same message again but this time the time is set. 1 Samuel 28:17-19 (in the Complete Jewish Bible) says,
Adonai has doe for himself what he foretold through me – Adonai has torn the kingdom out of your hands and given it to your fellow countryman David, because you didn’t obey what Adonai said and execute his furious anger toward Amalek. That’s why Adonai is doing this to you today. Adonai is giving Isra’el as well as yourself over into the power of the P’lishtim, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. Adonai will hand over Isra’el’s army to the power of the P’lishtim.” [Adonai is one of the names of God, Isra’el is the Jewish spelling, and P’lishtim translated is Philistines.]
God’s judgment is eminent for Saul and his sons. It’s now the reckoning time for Saul’s continued sin and his lack of repentance before God. I suspect, and one of the commentators (Tom Bradford) mentioned, that God’s plans are now being carried out. The judgment was hanging over Saul’s head for quite sometime. So long he might have forgotten that judgment is a real thing.
We will all stand before God for judgment at some point in our lives. (Hebrews 9:27: And inasmuch as it is appointed that men should die once and after this comes judgment.) How often we forget this and live like judgment will pass us by. We don’t allow ourselves to contemplate the time of judgment and we think the judgment won’t happen. Let me tell you, my friend, judgment is coming. Also, let’s remember the difference between Saul and David (read blog article from January 24, 2019). It’s up to us. Will we live according to our own wisdom? Or will we recognize when we are not hitting God’s marks of obedience and repent? This is a question every person – even those who profess Christ – has to wrestle with. I pray as I write this blog for each of you; that you will make the right decisions.

No comments: