What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, January 18, 2018

The End of Daniel


So we finished discussing Daniel 12 and summarizing Daniel. There is still much I could have gleaned from the text and the notes, but for now I have a better understanding of Daniel and his prophecies.
I don’t want to forget some of the early lessons from Daniel’s life. First, he determined he would not defile himself by giving up God’s laws. I also need to be determined to follow God’s commandments and take a stand whenever necessary. The examples of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego are poignant. They stood up to rulers and the prominent “wise-men” of Babylon in order to stay pure before the Almighty God. Am I willing and able to take a stand when it counts? Do I know God’s commandments well enough to know what to stand up for and what not to? My prayer is that God will continue to show me, through the study of His Word, what is worthy of a stand.
Through the prophecies I’ve learned that God is in control and at work, even if we cannot see it in the here and now. One thought is worthy of being called a summary for the book. (It’s not my original thought. I wrote it down from the notes.) “God’s power and our deliverance come not through our strength but through our weakness.” This is demonstrated throughout Daniel, but it’s also true throughout history. When the Biblical characters (including the nation of Israel as a whole) were at their weakest, that’s when God’s power shown through and miracles were performed. Whether it’s Abram and Sarai having a son when it seemed impossible or Jesus’ death and subsequent resurrection, God’s power is seen when things look the most dire. God comes through when we are weakest. It’s His power that prevails in our weaknesses.
In Daniel’s life and in the prophecies, we see God at work. We see God fulfill His promises for our welfare. We can be confident that He will continue to take care of the faithful in our weaknesses. I’m counting on His promises as I move into my future and I’m trusting God will meet your needs as you go into your futures.

No comments: