What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Decision: Acts 15:19-35


So, last week in the first part of Acts 15, there was a council in Jerusalem where the issue was whether or not the Gentiles had to follow the Mosaic law in order to become believers. This week in my study, the decision was made.
James gave the final word on the subject in Acts 15:19-21. He basically said that we should “not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles . . .” (verse 19). What they did decide was that there should be some restrictions on the Gentiles with the purpose being to avoid idolatry at all costs. Specifically, James said, “but write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood” (verse 20).
So a letter was drafted (contents of letter are in verses 23-29) that gave the Gentile believers in Antioch (and surrounding Gentile areas) these encouragements. The letter was delivered to Antioch by Paul and Barnabas, and at least two other men who were witnesses to the authenticity of the letter. Having received the decision, the Gentile believers rejoiced and a compromise was reached that would not offend the Jewish believers or the Gentile believers. And, essentially joined the church together into one whole (instead of causing division).
What struck me was how the apostles and elders focused their response/decision on not associating with idols (which was a big problem in Galatia and the rest of the world at the time). That letter could be sent to us today. We also need to abstain from engaging in any activity that can be construed to be related to idol worship. It’s a little bit trickier today to identify what the idols might be in our lives. But, anything that we place in higher priority than serving God, than meeting with God, than relying on God is an idol to us. I have to be careful not to place television shows ahead of doing my Bible study prep or prayer time. I have to be careful to not let the tragedy of my past influence me to discount the truths God has given me. I have to be careful to not worship other people (mostly my family) instead of doing God’s service. There are other possible idols in our lives. We should abstain from them and focus on the glorious, heavenly Father, before all else.

No comments: